Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Kraus

Default keeping lights on during certain hours

Ordinary light switch controlling a few fixtures. I'd like to keep these
lights from being turned off during business hours. After hours it can
follow the position of the switch. What are my options? I could get a
miniature digital timer switch but those generally have a manual override
switch. Maybe there is a version without one and settings hidden from
casual users but I doubt there is one where there is a manual control that
is only active when the timer is off. So here are some thoughts.

· Mount a timer or timer switch elsewhere and parallel it with existing
toggle. As long as timer is on the lights stay on. Requires adding wires
to conduit and new conduit & box at timer location.

· Shove a low voltage relay in the back of the box to parallel with
existing toggle. Power relay with LV supply plugged into simple wall timer
or from other equipment that is always on when business is open.

· Replace SPST toggle with SPDT. Lights wired to pole. Existing power to
one throw, other throw is fed from a switch at an inaccessible location,
timer, or simply a circuit that is live when the business is open.
Requires only one new wire to switch but possibly other conduit or wire
work.