Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller

Default Outting 220 on 110 outlet

In article , wrote:
I need 220 at a 110 outlet. I found that 220 needs 3 wires, black red
and white. The white always goes to the silver screws and the black
and red are hot.

This is not correct. 220 needs 3 wires: black, red, and *bare*. White is for
neutral; there is no neutral in a pure 220 circuit. The *bare* wire goes to
the green screw.

The problem it says in my book that the green screw
is the ground.

Right.

But I dont need a ground,

Wrong.

so I just hooked the red
wire to the green screw.

Oops.

The outlet worked fine when I tested it,
but when I shoved it in the wallbox, it sparked and blew the breaker.

Well, no kidding. You connected a hot lead (red) to the ground terminal on the
outlet. Then when you put it into the metal box, you grounded that hot lead.

That wasn't supposed to happen and the wires are tight. Here is how I
wired it (below).

At first I thought I had a bad breaker so I held the breaker tight so
it would not blow. I figured if there was a crossed wire it would
just burn the bad part of the wire off. But it still blew.

On the off chance that you're really serious, and not just a troll... please
get a good book on electrical wiring, or hire an electrician. You don't know
nearly enough about this to do it safely. Please stop before you burn your
house down.

--
Regards,