Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

Default Foxhunting - was Part P conudrum.....

In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
John Cartmell wrote:
In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
John Cartmell wrote:
In article , Roger
wrote:
like other vermin

Define 'vermin' without recourse to entirely subjective* statements.

*Else the fox's view of you as 'vermin' is just as valid and
justification for you being shot out of hand.

"Vermin" is a legal definition in this case. Look it up yourself.

So you agree that you have no objective definition. Your 'other vermin'
can just as easily (actually far easier!) refer to you.

Er..what is an objective definition anyway?

One that applies to the animal rather than their social relationship to us. Eg
'Mammal' is objective as is 'Homo sapiens' and 'Vulpes vulpes'. 'Vermin' is
defined as those animals that 'we' consider to be pests - but as 'we' may not
agree which animals are pests; the list may vary from time-to-time and
place-to-place; the assumptions trhat 'we' make may be wrong; and 'we' are
frequently the instigator of what becomes a pest the definition is subjective
and has frequently been used to replace understanding or thinking through the
problem. Many an argument has been prematurely ended by someone blithely
stating, "it's vermin" without appreciating that the label may be without
sense.

If its written in the statute books, its a definition that is objective to
me.

It may be to you - if you wish to hide behind such a formulation without
thinking for yourself.

You might as well say there is no objective definition of red.

I can define 'red' by reference to a range of wavelengths of light. I can only
define 'vermin' by pointing to a list that is attached to the definition for
no objective reason. Now should you decide to define 'red' as a dozen or so
wavelengths of light spread across the spectrum - but ones that you
particularly dislike - then the comparison would be valid. You would have a
bloody stupid idea of what 'red' was though.