Ed Huntress

Default Spring temper question.

"Tom Quackenbush" wrote in message
On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 12:55:53 GMT, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Tom Quackenbush" wrote:

SNIP
Here's a blurb from the Navy on wearfacing:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...tc/14250_ch6.p

df

Very interesting. I never saw that explanation of sweating with a
carburizing flame before. That explains a few things.

Maybe I'll try hardfacing again, armed with that information. Thanks,

Tom.

I posted that link by mistake ( I meant to post the link to chapter
7) and hadn't read it until seeing your comment. You're right, that is
interesting.

I'd be interested in your results if you try it.

I'll let you know. I weld out in my unheated garage, and it's pretty cold
right now, so it may be a while. g

Here's the thing that struck me about the "sweating" business, something I
hadn't thought about befo High-carbon steel melts at a slightly lower
temperature than low-carbon steel. So, if you carburize the surface a bit
with a carburizing flame, you wind up melting a thin layer on the surface of
the steel first. If I understand the article correctly, that provides as
sort of flux, or a molten interface at least, that helps the hardfacing
material to flow and bond.

I never raised the temperature of the steel I tried to hardface quite to
that temperature. Thus, I never got good results.

At least, that's what I gather from the article.

--
Ed Huntress
(remove "3" from email address for email reply)