Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques

Default Achieving a Satin Finish with Nitrocellulose Lacquer

On 21 Feb 2006 08:39:54 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
quickly quoth:

What is the best way to achieve a satin finish when using lacquer? I
plan on spraying the finish using Behlens Qualalacq lacquer. Should I
use their gloss lacquer for all 3 - 4+ coats and then rub it out to the
desired finish, or should I use their satin lacquer from start to
finish? Or should I use gloss for everything but the final 1 or 2
coats and then switch to satin? Does it make any difference? Then
only problem I can see with using satin for all coats is that it might
not be as clear.

What kind of piece is the recipient of the finish? If it's finer
woodworking, use clear for the buildup then switch to satin for the
topcoat. If perfect clarity isn't as much of an issue, go satin all
the way. There is a subtle difference, so if you can discern it, go
with what you like.

P.S: Thank you for not just smearing some poly on the project.

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly
is to fill the world with fools.