Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default Paint: Roll or Spray?

The Reverend Natural Light wrote:
Greetings!

I'm about to paint a newly finished basement. I have zero experience
painting interior surfaces and am not sure what the ideal method would
be:

1. Automotive sprayer and compressor. I have these already and know
how to use them. It is not an HVLP set up. The paint would have to
be thinned.

Good for auto bad for apartments.

2. Homeowner grade paint sprayer: I picked up one of those Wagner
"Power Painter Pro" paint guns from HD last weekend. From looking
around news archives, it doesn't seem like too many users are happy
with these.

Good for the manufacturers bad for the users. Generally junk.

3. Roller and brush: Even most professional jobs I've seen show
brush and roller marks, which I don't like. And then there's no
excuse to buy a new tool.

Works well. There is a good reason most professionals and homeowners go
this way.

All the rooms are empty, there's no flooring yet, and masking
shouldn't be too difficult. I'll have to paint ceilings and several
doors. I'm in no hurry, just want nice results.

Any opinions or advice?

Thanks!

-rev

--