Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

Default My biggest fear (almost) has materialized

On 20 Feb 2006 10:07:28 -0800, "Moshe Eshel" wrote:

Assuming that Israeli is similar to the US, most break ins like yours are done
by kids...
They don't know what's valuable and what isn't.. just what looks "cool" to
steal..

All the security suggestions are good, but the least expensive might be a length
of chain long enough to go around your shed and a padlock...
If that isn't enough, there isn't much else you can do, with out spending a lot
of money or hurting someone...

It's been my experience that locks only keep kids and less-than-honest folks
out... the "professionals" will get into wherever they need to..

My biggest fear was always that someone would break into my place and
steal my equipment.

Sadly, it happend today (or actualy, last night).

Someone broke into my new plastic shed, and stole things. Luckily
he/they were really stupid, and took only the cheap stuff, I have no
idea - maybe because no one knows what turning is - they left my lathe
alone. but they did take two of my skews (and left the gauges
alone...), a drill, an electric saw (a very cheap one) - and my wedding
ring (which I took off the night before thanks to someone's advice here
in the forum - no hard feelings though, the advice is a good one :-()

The total loss is quite low actually, since I don't have that much
equipment in any case. under 300$ I guess, but that is a lot for me,
and in any case the very idea is disgusting. Considering the market
value for these items as used is not even 50$ - it seems absurd.

Lucky for me, it is harder to steal the really important things from me
since they are un-takeable - love and affection.

I hope this doesn't happen to any of you, ever!

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis