Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Default Achieving a Satin Finish with Nitrocellulose Lacquer

B a r r y wrote:

Brian Mahaney wrote:

I prefer using gloss and rubbing it out with fine steel wool and a paste
wax. It's just a matter of opinion.

Make that two copies of this opinion.

If you rub the final finish out at all, you'll probably rub through the
flattening agent. Matching the areas where there is a flattening agent
to those where you've gone through it is a PITA. Since you almost
always need to rub out at least a bit, just stay with gloss.

Barry

I agree if you'll be doing much rubbing of the finish, do the last TWO
coats in satin. I've been able to get some finishes to come out fine
without rubbing the final coat, when the stars are all in alignment.

Dave