Posted to rec.woodworking
TEF

Default Router guide bushings: steel vs brass

Chuck,

While this may not prove out scientifically, the brass guide bushings seem
to slide with less friction when I use them with aluminum straight edges and
corner templates (while doing solid surface materials). I have both steel
and brass guides of the same diameter and prefer the brass. I've not bent
either one, but these are not used in a commercial setting, so perhaps, my
shop is not a typical one.

Got the brass guide at woodcrafter and the steel one part of a Porter Cable
set.

"chuck" wrote in message
nk.net...
Are there any strong feelings in the group about choice of material for
router guide bushings, other than the obvious: steel can rust but is
stronger; brass looks nicer, and doesn't rust, but is more easily bent?

Are the various offerings of PC-compatible bushings of comparable quality?

Thanks!

Chuck