Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Default Achieving a Satin Finish with Nitrocellulose Lacquer

wrote:

What is the best way to achieve a satin finish when using lacquer? I
plan on spraying the finish using Behlens Qualalacq lacquer. Should I
use their gloss lacquer for all 3 - 4+ coats and then rub it out to the
desired finish, or should I use their satin lacquer from start to
finish? Or should I use gloss for everything but the final 1 or 2
coats and then switch to satin? Does it make any difference? Then
only problem I can see with using satin for all coats is that it might
not be as clear.

The gloss lacquer is in stock locally, but the satin lacquer will have
to be ordered. There is no difference in cost, and the ordering
process will not delay my project because I'm still at least a few
weeks away from being ready to finish.

This will be my first time using lacquer, so I'd appreciate any help
you can provide. By the way, I'm aware of the inherent risks
associated with spraying nitrocellulose lacquers. I will be wearing a
respirator and applying the finish in a well ventillated 3-car detached
garage, so I think I have the safety aspects well covered. With that
said, I welcome all comments.

Thanks,
Mike
Cypress, TX

You could use the gloss for all but the last coat to maintain maximum
clarity.

Dave