Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Default Drilling 500 holes in mild steel

Fort Worth TX

Robin S. wrote:
"Eric Anderson" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have to drill 500 holes with a #1 drill (0.2280 dia.) in mild steel
in cramped quarters on a truck. I will have to drill these holes
sitting and reaching out nearly arms length in front of me. It is very
tiresome to put the proper pressure on the drill.

I would like suggestions:

1. The best way to accurately position the drill (some kind of punch
to dimple the steel?)

2. A way to put the pressure on the drill without the stress of
applying all the pressure myself.

Not sure if you can, but using a simple lever to apply pressure works very
well. We have to do this at work in cramped situations. I'd highly recommend
a good drill with a good chuck as you can actually apply a *lot* of force.
I'd recommend square metal tube or wood as it's light and won't slip off the
drill like round will.

You might look at one of the 90-degree attachments that are available.
The one I have is a $10 HF variety, but gives you about 6 inches more
reach (no comment) and also a nice flat surface opposite the chuck
against which to apply Robin's lever.