Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S

Default Tinning Copper saucepans - again!

Chris Bacon wrote:

Tim S wrote:

The only caution I'd have is: are either fluxes suitable for
cooking utensils, assuming the OP is going to make things in said pan?

He's going to tin it. I assume he's going to wash it up afterwards.

Assuming the stuff is water soluable.

Don't want to use something grossly toxic unless you can be sure of
removing it 100% afterwards.

Sigh. Also, Laco flux is extensively used in plumbing of potable and
non-potable supplies. It's water-soluble.

Double sigh. I haven't heard of Laco - therefore the caution is
perfectly reasonable to raise - and is now answered.

Tallow is obviously safe...

And it doesn't work very well compared to a decent flux.

True enough.

Just my 2p's worth.

An old bronze one, or a new copper plated one?

New one - they're great if you run out of large washers and have a drill
handy.