Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S

Default Tinning Copper saucepans - again!

Chris Bacon wrote:

denis wrote:
Bought my pure tin, tallow, and Bakers No5

Tallow and Bakers? WTF's that for? Buy a decent flux like Laco
and have a go with that, put it on a rag as well as on the pan.
Don't get it too hot, just hot enough is best or you'll burn
the flux.

Ahh - Bakers. The flux for everything. Last tin I used was probably made
in 1950 - didn't know they still did it.

The only caution I'd have is: are either fluxes suitable for
cooking utensils, assuming the OP is going to make things in said pan?
Don't want to use something grossly toxic unless you can be sure of removing
it 100% afterwards.

Tallow is obviously safe...

Just my 2p's worth.

Cheers