Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth

Default single 2.5mm wire in a 32A MCB

"David Hansen" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 16:17:04 -0000 someone who may be "Sparks"
wrote this:-

There is a 32A breaker marked as Spare with a single 2.5mm wire inserted
(So
it isn't spare then I assume!)

Do you know where this cable goes? Is the MCB on or off?

Now, one part of me says this is wrong, it should be a 20A MCB as it must
be
a radial,

Correct.

but if this were a ring circuit, then I could spur off of it, so
the spur would be protected with a 32A breaker.

Non-fused spurs can only serve a single or double socket, or one
fixed appliance. Incidentally the Wiring Regulations are silent on a
spur serving one fixed appliance and one socket side by side, which
is essentially the same as a double socket.

The OSG states that a non-fused spur feeds only one single or one twin or
one permanently connected equipment

As a result of this the
current that can be drawn down the spur is limited. However, the
30/32A protective device doesn't protect the spur cable properly.

It should protect against short circiuts on a correctly designed circuit.

Adam