Posted to alt.home.repair
Robin

Default stucco cracks

Help! My 18 month old stuuco is cracking. Cracks are horizontal at
about 2 feet on center and general alligator cracking all over,
especially at corners. Stucco is on galv. mesh on wood frame
structure. Mason (#$$!!!**^!!) used only 2 coats of stuuco (instead of
3) and topped it off with 2 coats of masonry paint. I had another
mason look at it and he said it was "horrendous". He thinks either
wrong sand was used (brick sand?) or mesh was stretched wrong. He
suggested elastomeric paint. I don't want to use the elastomeric paint
on the painted stucco because we have water problems in area as well
and I want stucco to breathe. I have been monitoring the cracks and
they seem to have slowed down. Should I patch the bad ones with stucco
patch and repaint or will cracks below just come right through? Remesh
and restucco with 3 coats???