Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wiring question

dnoyeB wrote:
wrote:
Thanks for your help. So it is normal for the "hot" wire on device 1 to
be coming from device 2? To clarify, it appears that I have 2 "hot"
wires connected to device 2... one from the "source" and one that
connects to device 1.

Well whatever the hot wire touches becomes hot as well. So you have one
hot wire doing to device 2 from the source. Then you have a wire going
from that screw onto device 1.

The replacement for this is like so. One hot wire comes from the
source. You attach two new black wires into a wirenut with that
'source' wire. Now you have 3 wires in this wirenut, 1 feed, 2 output.
Then each out goes to a light switch

source ---------- NUT ------- out 1
------- out 2

out 1 ------- switch 1
out 2 ------- switch 2

My problem is that I don't see any way that I can successfully connect
the two wires into the one bottom "screw" on device 2 as they were on
the "old" device 2. There is just not room for them to both fit under
the screw, b/c the screw will only un-screw so far. Is this making any
sense? Again, thanks for your patience.

Well sometimes switches will have a screw connection as well as a small
hole that you stick the wire into. If your switch has both, then you
dont have to put both wires on the screw. One wire can go into the
hole. But the above technique is probably simpler than the hole
technique if you don't know about the hole.

--
Thank you,

Thanks very much for your help. That makes perfect sense. Can the older
type insulated wires go into the hole? For some reason I thought they
had to be attached at the screw.

Otherwise I will just attach two new black wires as suggested.

Thank you!