Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Default Problems with an electrical outlet and dish network receiver

Wow!!! Thank you everyone for all of the posts. It has been extremely
helpful.

I did buy one of the three prong testers and tested the problem outlet.
The reading showed that there is indeed reverse polarity on that
outlet. It however did not show anything wrong with the ground. I did
not get a chance to turn off that circuit (my wife was watching a tv
show all night) and look at the wiring to see if there was anything
unusual such as what was described as a "bootleg ground".

The only thing that still bothers me as far as determining the final
problem/solution is that I also tested the outlet in the adjacent room
that the extension cord is plugged into and it showed the same test
results; reverse polarity but nothing wrong with the ground.

Let me further qualify what I mean when I stated the test results for
both outlets above (both tested the same way). The light pattern on
the tester corresponded with the description: hot/neutral reversed.

I did not get a chance to test the voltages between the different parts
of the outlet (I could not find my voltmeter last night) but I
hopefully I can get those results tonight.

The possibilty of the ground being hot is starting to make a little
sense now. Before all of this happened we did have things plugged into
this outlet. There was a surge protector plugged in and then a tv and
lamp both plugged in to the surge protector (both are two prong
devices). So the satellite receiver is the first 3-pront device that
has been plugged into this outlet to my knowledge. Right now the
extension cord is plugged into a three prong outlet as well but the
extension cord is old and is only 2 prong. The satellite receiver has
one of the 3-prong-to-2-prong adapters on the end of its power cord and
then plugged into the extension cord.

However, the tester has light patterns that are supposed to indicate an
energized ground, right?

One last thing that I just thought that may (or may not) help shed some
light on this. The installer was working outside on the dish and I did
see him hook a grouding wire up to a coax connector that joined the
coax lines from the dish to the coax lines going into the house.
However it was extremely cold out and he said that he was going to
attach the grounding wire to the Service conduit that runs from the
room of the house to the ground after he came in and warmed up and
finished hooking up the receivers. Well, he hooked up the first
receiver which plugged into a very expension Monster Power Surge
Protector and Line Conditioner and everything was ok. It was then
that he tried to hook up the other receiver that we had the problems
with the outlet and the shocking. After we relocated it with the
extension cord that was only 2-prong and got it set up, he went back
outside and tried hooking up the ground wire to the service conduit.
He had me go back inside and unplug that receiver because when he would
get the ground wire close to the clamp he put on the conduit it would
arc. After unplugging he was able to hook it up and then we plugged it
back in and everything was fine.

Could the fact that he did not have this hooked up in the first place
be part of the problem? Is there anything I should be looking for now
that this has came to light?

Thank you again for everyone's help!