Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jtaylor

Default small loop clock chain source or jig?

"Ian Timshel" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 20:47:25 -0500, Brian Lawson wrote:

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 17:31:17 -0600, Ian Timshel
wrote:
================

That is the standard for making jump rings and would be ever so

attractive
if I could use round links. The links aren't round though. I'm looking
to make the links in their final form.
Thanks for taking a swing at it.
Cheers! Ian

Then why not wind the coil on a bobbin of the correct shape?

=================

That's kind of where I'm at. Flat stock shaped to suit. The material
I'm working with is plenty soft enough to handle that method. The only
drawback I can see is that it would not be adjustable and it would be good
to have it adjustable through a narrow range.

Even 0-80 set screws would look big on suitable material. hmmm If the
bobbin was split to allow it to be spread or retracted the jig could be
dialed in very closely to reproduce exactly what was required.

Or maybe two rods of suitable diameter, but a method of adjusting the
spacing between such small materials is not coming to me willingly. heh

Steady pins wouldn't be troublesome to include, but I'd love to find a
means of adjusting the spacing at either end so one could mic the bobbin
to ensure it was parallel then be off to the races.

Thinking out loud is necessary some days. An adjustable block at each end
that retained the steady pinned rods would work.

Make 'em round, squish the coil to the right form, cut,
solder,solder,solder...

Easy to make a round form a tiny bit bigger/smaller until you get one that
squshes just right.