Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Default Going Rate for Carpenters?

wrote:
On 20 Feb 2006 21:01:34 -0800, "ccsikyr" wrote:

I was hoping to start a discussion of the market for carpenters, not a
discussion of what is and isn't my business, which I think is beyond
the scope of this group.

Bull. If that were the case, you would have asked about the going
rates for various trades. Not whether or not $30 an hour seemed
right for a skilled guy like the carpenter who's installing your
kitchen..

in particular because I care about the tradesmen
who work in my house.

And just how does your caring about people who work in your home
extend to 1) knowing how much he makes and 2) trying to determine
through a newsgroup (for god's sake) whether or not that is
appropriate? I think you've got too much time on your hands.

You seem a little touchy on this topic, Ken. Why?

The question comes up frequently - it's not like the OP is asking
something outrageous.

To the OP: the GC probably bills him out at a multiplier of at least
2x and probably 3x which sounds about right. Could he make more
working for himself? Probably. But then he'd have to deal with the
paperwork, insurance, etc., etc. He probably is happy to get his grand
or grand and a half a week and leave the headaches to someone else.