Posted to alt.home.repair
jaynews

Default Do the seals on Low-E coated windows wear out quicker?

I recently replaced a dual-pane panel with a dual-pane panel that has a
Low-E coating on surface #3 (which is the side facing outward on the
innermost pane). The window faces the south, and I notice that when the
sun shines through, it causes the inner pane to warm up VERY NOTICEABLY to
the touch in comparison to an adjacent non-Low-E coated window. In other
words, the inner panel feels warm to the touch in comparison to the inner
sufface the windw immediately next to it (which has a non-low-E panel).

So I'm wondering 2 things:

1) Will the added stress of this extra heat cause the panel's seal to wear
out quicker relative to non-Low-E panels?

and

2) If a Low E coating on surface number 3 is causing the inner pane itself
to noticeably heat up when sun shines through (relative to a non-low-e
window), does this mean the coating is actually working as it should, or
does this indicate that it's absorbing too much energy instead of reflecting
it?

Thanks,

J.