Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Default Push fit connectors for central heating?

"Roger Mills (aka Set Square)" wrote in message
Matthew wrote:

Hi All,

Does anybody have any experience of using the push fit plastic
connectors on central heating systems? How reliable and robust are
they? I was thinking of adding antother radiator upstairs and just
wondered how durable these fittings are. It would be a plastic section
tee'ed into a copper run.
A lot of places seem to sell it now (in Wickes at the weekend)
and I like the idea of convenience.
However am not sure about these fittings (but then I dont know how
they work) in that they only seem to seat on an O ring. Presumably it
must be reliable.
The new build houses near us seem to have had plastic almost
throughout, you could see it from the pavement during the build.

As an aside, as I mentioned last week I have a leak under a concrete
floor and was going to replace that section with new copper. Would
plastic also be suitable here?

Thanks for any advice,
Matthew

Plastic pipe and push-fit fittings are fine for central heating systems -
and for domestic hot and cold water distribution - with a couple of
exceptions. You can't use plastic pipe within a metre or so of a boiler.

Depends on the boiler

Also, I wouldn't use it in situations where is needs to support something,
such as a pump or zone valve.

For central heating, you *must* use barrier pipe - which prevents oxygen
molecules from permeating through the walls. AIUI, Hep2O is made in
barrier and non-barrier versions, so you need the right type. I think JG
Speedfit pipe is *all* barrier.

You can mix and match copper and plastic pipe - and fittings. For example,
you can use compression fitting on plastic pipe - provided you use pipe
inserts in the ends

The best and avoid the pushfits.