Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electric fence energiser

Tim S wrote:
MikeW wrote:

Dave Plowman (News), : wrote:
In article ,
Sponix wrote:
In theory it won't cause any more interference than a car ignition
system as it uses the same parts.

Car ignition systems have short HT leads usually made of a resistive
material to cut down RFI. And the whole lot (usually) shielded by
grounded metalwork. Think the average fence might just act like an
aerial...

But with an elec fence there is no spark and hence no current flowing so
no RFI
Until something completes the circuit and gets Zapped.

I think

The fence will exhibit capacitance to earth and there will be a pulse of
current flowing in on the rising pulse, then discharging back through the
coil.

A small capacitance admittedly, but combined with a fast rising high voltage
pulse. It's bound to generate some RF, but how much I have no idea.

But it's unlikely to be any worse that any other electric fence gear based
on the same tesla coil principle.

The OP could test it crudely with an AM radio at various distances from the
fence - asking the question - "would I be ****ed off by this if I were a
neighbour?".

Hardly a scientific method I know, but if he's managed a peculiarly
efficient interference generator by some freak of physics, it should be
obvious

We have a moderately high powered electric fence energiser for our
fields - it's rated to energise 50km of fence if I remember right, I
expect I could look up the actual energy in Joules if anyone is really
interested. It does produce audible clicks on Radio 4 on long wave on
a radio which is actually within part of the fenced area. We are in
South Suffolk so the Radio 4 signal is adequate but not very strong.

--
Chris Green