Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich256

Default electrical question: can anyone explain this?

jlatenight wrote:
Thanks everyone. I tested the voltage with and without load. Started
at 119.6v and was 112.3v with the hair dryer on. I'll have to do the
same test at someone elses house to see if there's a difference.
Thanks again.

That drop sounds excessive to me. Where did you make the measurement?
At the same outlet? A hair dryer should not change the voltage by more
than a tenth of a volt or so.

How about at different outlets?

A measurement at the circuit breaker would be also in order to see if
the drop is external to the house. A measurement on a different circuit
with nothing turned on would also accomplish this. You could turn on
the dryer and go around measuring at various outlets to see if any or
all drop.

If you have aluminum wire it could be a poor connection in either the
hot or return wires. That includes at the return buss in the breaker box.