Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

Default Underlayment Preparation for Glue-down Flooring

"Augustine" wrote in message
ps.com...
The house is 13 years-old. And after giving it a thought, I agree that
what I see is the subfloor.

Laying down 1/8" sheets will make the transitions to other kinds of
flooring 1/8" higher, which may cause issues with the transition pieces
fitting.

Another alternative would be to replace the subfloor, but this is
getting on my nerves. Nailing down is becoming the most attractive
alternative for upstairs.

Any tips on gun nailers? I wouldn't mind having a corded, electrical
one if it can do the job.

TIA

I bought the spotnail model WS4840 W2 about $200. In my area I could not
find one to barrow or rent and you will spend more renting. I don't know
about an electric ones. Well if you use 1/8" uderlayment nail it down good
but the flooring staples will hold it also. I don't no what to tell you
about the transitions. They never come out the same. On mine I milled all my
own trim and transition pieces. I also had 3 steps down in one area and 4
steps down in another. So I just made new stairs. I have a complete shop in
my garage and to many years of experience. Once you get laying the floor
it's pretty easy straight forward but when you come to a wall you will have
to rip some boards also the stapler dose not fit. so you need a pin nailer
or nail by hand. So you will run into some problem solving situations. Oh be
sure it will take longer than you think like anything, but at the end the
reward of I did is there.