Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Woodman

Default Water based poly problem

Many of the modern polys are not compatable with shellac. Some manufacturers
will even recommend you use only their matching sealer.
"Brian Mahaney" wrote in message
. ..
Hello,

I've never tried a water-based poly until today, and I have run into a
problem. Admittedly, I am experimenting a bit. The problem is a crackled
finish. Here are the details of what I did.

I volumteered to refinish my parent's kitchen table as payback for my Dad
helping me deliver finished projects to customers. I started out by
sanding the entire table top down to bare wood. I finish sanded it up to
220. I applied a coat of shellac as a seal coat. That dried over night.
Next day I applied a water-based glaze tinted with Transtint dyes. That
dried over night. I was only doing the top, so I was trying to get to the
color of the rest of the table and chairs. I felt that I needed to warm
up
the tone a bit, so I tinted the water-based poly with Transtint dyes, and
sprayed a coat. It sprayed great despite being a brushing product. As it
dried I began to notice some issues. Slowly it began to crackle. It
looks
kind of cool, but this is not what I was going for. Any clue why this
happened?

Other contributing factors may have been: Temperature in the shop (it was
very cool in the early day, but I had the heat on for hours before I
started). Heating with kerosene. Could that have contaminated the
surface? Anyone experienced this?

Thanks,
Brian