Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ian Timshel

Default small loop clock chain source or jig?

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 14:52:40 -0400, jtaylor wrote:

"Ian Timshel" wrote in message
news
Hi all.
I need a source for or a jig to make some clock chain. The chain needs to
be made of .06" (1.5mm) wire and comprised of 30 links per foot.

I have a source for 1.8mm wire, 33 links per foot chain. I'm not sure this
will work flawlessly.

I'm trying to avoid making the chain one link at a time. I have some
preliminary drawing of a jig to produce several links at a time.
Basically it's round edged flat stock supported on each end so I can mount
it in the lathe to wind the wire on slowly by hand.

The standard jeweler's method is to wind a coil and saw the top wire(s); the
loops drop off and either collect on the saw blade or disappear under the
work bench.

Then you silver solder a bunch of single links on a charcoal block; make
units of three with the centre one to be soldered, then units of seven,
fifteen, etcetera...

That is the standard for making jump rings and would be ever so attractive
if I could use round links. The links aren't round though. I'm looking
to make the links in their final form.
Thanks for taking a swing at it.
Cheers! Ian