Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Polymer Man

Default accurate drilling at an angle?

John Doe wrote:
I need to drill some fairly accurate holes at an angle through some
aluminum square tubing (or whatever you call tubing that's square
instead of round).

I guess the main problem is that my cheap drill press has some play
in it so that the bit doesn't necessarily follow the intended path
straight down. So when I put the metal at an angle, the bit is going
to move towards the deeper side as it drills into the metal.

You can first come in with an endmill to make a flat.

Then come in with a centering drill and drill an accurately located
hole. It will not deflect because it is on the flat.