Posted to alt.home.repair
spudnuty

Default Electrical Fishing Tape - your favorite

Scott Townsend wrote:
I'm not sure the Brand, but my father in law had a Fiberglass fishtape. It
laid pretty flat when it was out of the reel. It had a blue case.

It was great when you were fishing stuff with Live power near by.

Scott-
"RichK" wrote in message
Hi,

My fishing tape (Ideal) broke not long ago, after 15 years. Will need a
new
one.

Was not very happy with the Ideal (in blue case). I've used it a dozen
times in 15 years and it was always very tight going in and out. It was a
steel tape.

Can anyone suggest an easy to handle (in/out) light duty tape (25ft), not
necessarily pro grade.

Rich

I know what you mean about those cheap tapes not pulling out,
aaaarrrggg. I have a Greenlee now and it works great but I still keep
the old one around to cut short "fishing hooks" off it when I need to
fish and hook. At the TV station where I used to work we used a
flexable steel "snake" for fishing cable that was also great but very
expensive. There are also nylon ones made now. It kind of depends on
what you're using it for and tends to be a personal choice. I used to
prefer the snake when I was at the station but we were always in
conduit or races. I thought of the flat steel one as a cheap
homeowner's toy. Now I actually prefer it for most jobs and like that
it can take a "set". When you're fishing across some ceiling joists or
cross bracing you can put a set into it so that it will ride over
stuff. Fishing down a wall you can make it turn right and left by
flipping the reel over.
richard