Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Barta

Default Cross Grain Glueing on Small Boxes

Sailaway wrote:

I had a bunch of kitchen and dining room chairs that sprung the
cross pieces from the legs and repaired them with Gorilla glue. It
was a PITA to keep the legs clean of the constant out-foaming of
glue,

I'll bet it was. The trick is to let it foam and dry completely. Then

and within a few weeks the chairs all sprung apart again
anyway. Once again I carefully cleaned all the spindles and
mortises and this time used yellow glue - have had no separations
in the last two years.

Oddly I had the exact opposite experience. Several years later and
Gorilla glue is still holding strong where yellow glue had failed
miserably.

Maybe the looseness of the joints has something to do with the
effectiveness of each glue? Don't know.

Joe Barta