Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

Default DW733 Portable Thicknesser - mini review

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 21:15:51 +0000, Andy Dingley
wrote:

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 11:32:22 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

I've done this - works quite well - although doesn't prevent making a
parallelogram (i.e. sides out of square). Presumably you then joint
the board edges?

I'm probably going to rip the board edges before I even think about
jointing them. A parallelogram is the least of my worries.

Of course. I usually tend to joint the first edge, then for the
second rip slightly over width and joint to size to clean up.

Another thing that I thought of that is worth mentioning is that it is
a good idea to run a metal detector over timber before running it
through the planer. I have an airport security type for doing this
(Lumber Wizard - Rutlands 25505, although mine came from the US at
half their price).

Metal detectors are a good thing, but I've been very unimpressed with
the Wizards I've tried - they couldn't detect Fred Dibnah's shed!

Mine is, literally, a landmine detector. Cheap, works.

I imagine that they would be sensitive enough.....

--

..andy