Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

Default Electric fence energiser

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 16:21:41 +0000, Grunff wrote:

MikeW wrote:

and something to interrupt the
primary.

This is the bit I need the help with ;-(

A DPDT relay. Use one pole to get the relay to click on/off (by
connecting the coil in series with the n/c), and the other pole to
switch your primary. You'll need to put a large-ish capacitor across the
relay coil to slow down the clicking, once every couple of seconds is
about right.

Something to prevent pitting and destruction of the relay contacts?

I wonder about the RFI aspects of all of this as well. Do commercial
units have relays or semiconductor switching, I wonder?

Although this isn't quite in the league of Tesla machines able to
compete with North Hessary Tor, a relay banging away into a coil is
likely to generate enough RF to be a nuisance in populated places.

--

..andy