Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Moving a 275 gallon oil tank

On 19 Feb 2006 20:10:51 -0800, someone wrote:

....Could be a disaster, but I'll let you know if it works.

That's optimistic!

If the tank is 1/4 full that would be less than 70 gallon. Fuel oil
would weigh less than water but more than gasoline so I'll estimate 7
lbs. per gallon until somebody looks it up and posts the real number,
so that's less than 490 lbs. plus the weight of the tank itself which
isn't all that much, those things aren't built mush heavier than they
"need" to be.

So all in all the thing as-is (1/4 full) weighs in the same range as a
Harley Davidson. Not trivial if it was lying on top of you, but not
all that frightening in terms of pure weight either. Four guys should
be able to lift it up clean, and easily lift/drag it a few inches at a
time across a concrete floor. (Two people working on one end would be
able to move one end at a time, but that puts a big strain on the
tank.)

My worry would be springing a leak from putting a strain on the tank,
so the more it could have been emptied beforehand the less risk. But
it really doean't sound like that big a job.