Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB

Default What to do with my sump pump??

Toller wrote:
My house is 24 years old. It is built on a hillside with a walkout
basement.

When I bought it 12 years ago I found the sump pump was installed
incorrectly and couldn't work. I fixed it and it worked fine when I flooded
the sump. It has never actually cycled because of water in the sump.

A few months ago we really heavy rains and snow melt; there was flooding all
around. The bottom of my sump had an inch of water in it, but it would have
to come up about 16" to cycle the pump. When I emptied my water heater into
it, it emptied immediately. So, you get the idea that I am pretty dry.

Okay, the problem. Just for the heck of it, I tested the pump today. It
doesn't work.
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/pump.jpg
It is so badly corroded I can't even read what brand it is.
Any point to trying fix it, or is the inside probably as bad as the outside?
Should I replace it, or just board over the sump? If it hasn't had more
than an inch in 24 years, the chances of it coming up 2' is pretty small,
but not absolutely impossible. I could use the extra floor space.

I drain my shop sink into the sump, but could still do that; I don't use it
much.

The inside probably looks the same as outside. Thats how my pumps look.
Either clean it up or replace the pump. The best answer though is to
talk to your local building department and see what the water level is
like around your house/neighborhood. Also talk to neighbors and see if
they have sump pumps. It could be that some modification happened to
the local area and your water is going elsewhere.

--
Thank you,