Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB

Default Basement Sub Floor Question

wrote:
Thanks for the info - very helpful. I did tried to suck most of the
water out and then followed by running the dehumidifier. The
dehumidifier is now a permanent fixture in my basement. The
subfloor is not on my list of renovation this winter, however, I'll
tackle it during the summer.

I lifted an edge and it looks ok, but I know that's not enough. I am
confused by the conflicting info on how dry to keep the house or
basement especially here in a cold climate. Is it 30 % ? 50% ? Why
do we have humidifiers installed in this part of the world if all it
does is help to nurish mold ?

I use humidifiers, especially in this cold winter weather. the A/C
works as a dehumidifier in the summer anyway. So overall, you should be
maintaining a similar relative humidity level throughout the year. Home
products and installations should be designed to deal with normal
relative humidity levels. So you should not experience mold growth due
to humidity under normal circumstances. A flooded basement is not
normal though.

--
Thank you,