Posted to alt.home.repair
Michael Strickland

Default Hardness Testing

On 19 Feb 2006 19:08:48 -0800, btilley wrote:

Can anyone recommend a good home test kit to test for hardness?
I bought a $10 kit at Home Depot, but I got only two samples out of it,
and it didn't seem to be as precise as I would like.

Any suggestions?

Any pet shop will sell aquarium hardness tests which will serve the same
purpose, just make sure to get the GH (general hardness) as they may also
have KH (carbonate hardness) kits sold separately, or the KH may come as part
of the GH depending on the kit. Also, it depends on the kit whether the
results will be in ppm or degrees hardness, but the conversion is
straightforward - 1 degree of hardness = 17 ppm. The titration kits, the ones
which use an indicator which is dripped into the sample one drop at a time,
are more accurate than the dip strips in my experience. The titration kits
are easy to use and the one I use gives an accuracy of 1 degree of hardness.

Here in GA, for about $20, you can get a test done by the Extension Service
which will not only tell you the hardness and pH, but the concentration of
other minerals that may cause health problems, tastes, odors or stains in
your fixtures. All that is needed is to go to the extension office to get the
sample container and instructions, follow the instructions and then return
the sample to the Extension Service. IIRC it took about a week to get the
results back. The results are easy to read and any set standards are listed
for comparison to your results.

Later, Mike
(substitute strickland in the obvious location to reply directly)

Please send all email as text - HTML is too hard to decipher as text.