Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bugs

Default 208-230V Single Phase Motor wiring

wrote:
I just came into a new motor and I'm attempting to figure out the
wiring for it.

This is a more complex setup than I've had to figure out before.

There are 7 wires in total, nicely packaged into a 9 prong connector

- - 7
6 5 4
3 2 G

G is the green ground, all the other numbers come off the wire itself.

I took my multimeter and started measuring resistance.

7 - 6: 8.3
4 - 3: .5
4 - 2: 2.4

5 - 4, 5 - 2, 5 - 3: When measuring these I had to crank the meter
upto its max range, placing the meter probes on any 2 of these wires
has the meter rise very quickly and continue moving up. If I take the
meter off and replace them onto the ends it picks up where I left off.
If I place the probes on 5 and ground it resets.

Any ideas how I would wire this? I have a 230V outlet that I use with
my welders that I plan to use with this for now.

Look inside the motor junction box cover. There should be a diagram
showing the various connections.
Bugs