Posted to rec.woodworking

Default PING - Mike Marlow

Mike:

The discouraging thing about HF is that often time they have web only
specials that are not notated as such, but they don't have the product
in the store. Or, they have the product on sale in the store, but not
on the web so I don't know about it unless I go over and poke around.
Now, after looking at every single gun on the website, I cannot find
the gun they had on sale in the store.

I went over there to take a look at this gun along with your
suggestions as it looked portable, fit the cfm requirements and had
about 3X the capacity of the B% knockoff.

http://tinyurl.com/gm28g

However, they don't have it in the store, and cannot order it. Thought
it could be a winner, but I couldn't even see one. And since the gun
is a little different than its sisters on the site, I would really like
to see one in person. I have bought enough stuff at HF to know better
than to go sight unseen. But as they say, not gonna happen.

I did see this one on the website

http://tinyurl.com/44fd

but did not see it in the store. I saw one similar in the store, but
it did not have the 1.5 cfm at 30 lbs. as a requirement. The
requirements on the one in the store were much higher, as were the rest
of the requirements on this website. It did look the same, though.

Frankly, I never knew that HF was carrying so many types of spray
equipment. The new guy told me that they sell a ton of it, enough to
really surprise him.

In don't know if you were aware of this, but HF will carry EXACTLY the
same product with different product and SKU numbers. I was looking at
something there to buy a few years ago, and was confused since I
couldn't see any difference in the products except one was literally
half the price of the other (it was a side angle grinder actually) and
so I broke down and asked the manager. He told me that it was a common
practice for them to change up the numbers and designations so that
they could keep an accurate count on sale items, and more importantly,
the batch numbers from their bulk Chinese suppliers. If they got
10,000 paint guns in 1,000 batches with sligthly differnet numbers on
the box/sticker, they could tell when and where they were manufactured
to keep up the QC.

I will pass by HF tomorrow and see if they have any of the .8mm guns
left (I am now hoping that the Chinamen didn't just leave off the "1"
in the batch I was looking at!) and will get back to you here with a
model number.

BTW, what's up with the electric outage? Are you one of our Northern
neighbors that is taking a beating with these last few storms?

Robert