Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Matt Whiting

Default 10/ 3 wire ??

James wrote:

I am going about 150 feet to a shed, and plan to run number 10 gauge wire.
This is simply a shed, and I want to be able to run power tools and have
some lights in the shed. I plan to use UF wire, and of course go 2 feet
underground.

Someone advised to run 10/3 instead of 10/2, but I forgot the reason
why. It seems they were indicating I could have TWO circuits instead of
one. Is that correct ? If so, then it seems that I could have 2 separate
20 amp circuits, but I am not sure.

When we say 10/3 wire, is that two main live wires, and one common
ground ??

You can run also 220 and 110 both if you use the third conductor as a
neutral. This would require you to have a separate grounding rod at the
shed. I'm not up on the latest code and I believe it has changed as to
when you may or may not use a ground rod at an outbuilding like this.
I'd check with a local inspector or electrician who is familiar with the
current code.

Matt