Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical
Don Bruder

Default Enabling an X10 camera, manually

In article , "Ron G"
wrote:

Don Bruder wrote in message
FWIW:
I'm getting excellent signal from my cams out to about a hundred yards,
give or take a bit, but only when the antennas are pointed more or less
directly at the receiver. Closer in, the aiming obviously matters less.

No need to power-cycle for channel (either TV or cam/receiver) changes.
Feel free if you like, but it isn't required.

Hi---
a Hundred yards? I thought they were only good for 100 feet max.
I'm glad to hear the range.

Without a *TOTALLY CLEAR* line-of-sight between the camera and the base,
you can forget it past about 125-150 feet. If you've got good LOS, I've
heard folks claiming 500+ feet, but I have my doubts on that.

A properly aimed "Cantenna" (Google for it) on both ends of the link,
combined with excellent LOS, is supposed to capable of extending the max
range to a quarter mile, but I haven't gotten around to trying anything
that fancy.

BTW, you gave a *great* explanation on them.
I have a 4 channel automatic switcher and I may be able to use that, using
the video/audio lines.

Thanks---
Ron

BTW, I'm curious how the X10 motion activator, which is a stand alone battey
powered "station" turns on a VCR 100 ft or so away in the house.

Like the rest of the X-10 stuff, you set the motion sensor to a
house/unit code, and the RF receiver module to the matching house/unit
code. The RF receiver then retransmits the RF signal from the sensor on
the house wires as an X-10 sequence, complete with the house/unit ID
assigned to the detector, as well as triggering the on/off function for
the socket built into the RF receiver.

I know it's an rf signal, etc, but is there an identification of what motion
activated alarm has been activated, then is that sent to the X10 camera,

If the plan is "When motion sensor says something's moving, start the
VCR recording what the camera sees", then the camera's wall-wart is set
to the same house/unit code as the motion sensor, so that when the
receiver re-sends the sensor's RF signal as X-10 on the house wires, the
camera kicks on along with the socket in the receiver. (which is where
the VCR gets plugged in)

Motion is seen, signal is transmitted to RF receiver, signal gets
converted into X-10 on the house wires, socket turns on, putting power
to a VCR set up to start recording whenever power is present, camera
sends signal, VR31 catches camera signal and feeds it to VCR, and you
get a tape of whatever the motion sensor "saw".

The tricky part of that setup these days is finding a VCR that can be
set to "when powered on, start recording" - Although I've read about
another module that can be put somewhere in line-of-sight for the VCR,
and catches the X-10 signals, then translates them into IR pulses to
control the VCR the same as the normal IR remote would do. I've never
laid eyes on one of those modules "live and in person", though - Only
read about them being available - so I know very little about them
beyond their existence and the theory of how they're supposed to
function.

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd for more info