Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical
Don Bruder

Default Enabling an X10 camera, manually

In article .net,
DaveC wrote:

Thus spake Don Bruder:

No controller? No problem - Pull the wall-wart out of the wall, then plug
it
back in. They default to "on", and remain that way until they receive an
X-10

"off" signal. If you're seeing +12v on the end of the wall-wart's wire,
it's
already on.

I'm getting no signal to the TV from the camera, although I see a raster (not
noise). The receiver (VR31A) lights its LED, but I get no indication on the
TV of a video image. I have matched channels (tried both CH 3 and 4, cycling
power for each trial), and camera channels (tried A through D, cycling power
for each trial).

I cycle the power by unplugging the wall-wart and plugging it back in (for
each of the devices).

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Well, I now know you've got exactly the same gear on both ends as I do,
so that's a start...

I'm assuming you're wiring the receiver to the TV via co-ax, rather than
the RCA plugs? If so, that's one potential trouble-spot eliminated (My
first guess would have been swapped audio/video cables on the RCA jacks,
but since you're messing with the 3/4 switch, that likely doesn't apply)

Let's see... Fire up *ONE* camera (unplug any others you have) and the
receiver with them literally side-by-side. Any change in on-screen stuff
when camera is unplugged/plugged in? If not, there are two posibilities:
Cable issues, or camera/receiver/both dead. Getting raster instead of
noise suggests that the receiver is OK.

Do you have RCA inputs on the TV? If so, try those instead of the co-ax,
and tune the TV to take its signal from there. 3/4 on the VR31 doesn't
matter with the RCA outputs - It only counts for the co-ax hookup.

Tinker with the antennas on both receiver and camera - They're fairly
directional, and slight adjustments can make *HUGE* changes in
picture/sound quality - Far more than you'd expect.

What kind of range are you trying to cover? About a hundred yards with
clear line-of-sight seems to be the limit for these little guys.

Any metal in a more-or-less straight line between camera and receiver?
Doesn't need to be a "solid wall" - 2.4GHz (where the system operates)
is surprisingly easy to block. Not as easy as, for instance, satellite
reception, but much easier than over-the-air TV/Radio.

FWIW:
I'm getting excellent signal from my cams out to about a hundred yards,
give or take a bit, but only when the antennas are pointed more or less
directly at the receiver. Closer in, the aiming obviously matters less.

No need to power-cycle for channel (either TV or cam/receiver) changes.
Feel free if you like, but it isn't required.

Work with one camera at a time - Disconnect all but one. Multiple
cameras "powered up at the same time on the same cam/receiver channel
will "fight" each other, and in some cases (location/distance dependent)
can scramble and/or cancel out each other's signal, leaving the receiver
effectively getting nothing to pass along to the TV.

Let me know what, if anything, you manage to come up with, and I'll try
to assist.

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd for more info