Gunner

Default using a 1140RPM motor with VFD

On 30 Sep 2003 18:05:11 -0400, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

in the VFD to increased the starting torque which pretty much solved the
problem. However the VFD indicates the motor is drawing nearly full
current just turning the spindle at max RPM. And yes the spindle bearings
are fine!

Hmm ... mechanical variable speed mechanisms are not very
efficient -- lots of friction losses in that variable-speed belt.

Pull the variable speed crap out, and run it direct drive. It will be
smoother, quieter and easier on your VFD. Stick the stuff in a box so
you can include it with the lathe when you upgrade to a different lathe.

Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third
hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're
around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right
before demode` (out of fashion).
-Buddy Jordan 2001