Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical
DaveC

Default Enabling an X10 camera, manually

Hello,
I want to use the XC18A wireless video camera in a stand-alone mode without a
controller (for the camera to be on when power is supplied to it). I presume
that I must figure out how the X10 controller turns on the camera, and then
permanently enable the camera. Therefore, I need to know something about how
the electronics inside the XC18A wireless camera work.

The camera must be turned on remotely by some X10 controller over the mains
wiring. On the camera's power supply there are switches ("Unit" and "House")
which uniquely identify the camera. When the controller contacts the camera
power supply, what "turns on" in the camera electronics?

The cable going from the supply "brick" to the camera has 3 conductors: 12v,
ground, and another conductor. Does this third conductor get 12v when the
"on" signal is received? 5v?

If I had a controller to turn on the camera, I could answer my own question,
but I don't.

Thanks,
--
DaveC