Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones

Default Sharpening clipper blades

Tom Gardner wrote:

What's the secret? I have a Whall clipper to do the Schnauzers and the
blades are about $20 new so, I figured I could surface grind them. I jigged
them up and took about .010" off top mating surfaces and I thought I did a
good job but they don't cut at all and I can't see why not. The look like
they should! Am I missing something? Are they magic?

My wife was doing the dog grooming thing for a while. Visits from the
sharpening guy were at least a monthly occurance sometimes more often.

The sharpener that he used was pretty much the same to look at as the
Glendo sharpeners that you see advertised in Home Shop Machinist, with a
slow moving abrasive disc. The sharpening guy went on at length how the
lap had a special radius on it to sharpen the blades better than one
could do by other means, but it sounded of tripe, and I would not stake
too much money on a bet that there was any or a lot of curvature to it.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=... +Search&meta=

You are carving off about half the available material at .010" . Think
in terms of knocking them down in steps of .0001" to .0002" at a time if
you wish to not be buying new blades frequently.

Cheers
Trevor Jones