Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Outbuilding power supply confusion...

Hi,
Can I run this past some people to find out if I'm doing this
correctly...
I'm want to run power to an outbuilding that I'm going to use as a
workshop. (ok it's a shed, but outbuilding sounds grander!)
My plan is to run cable from a spare MCB in my house's consumer unit to
the shed (under a patio, so it'll be well protected) On entering the
shed it'll go into an auxilery consumber unit with build in RCD. This
consumner unit will have 3 MCBs to supply the lighting, power points
and a water feature in the garden
I've read around on the net and I like the idea of a consumer unit in
the outbuilding, but I was wondering if this was an ok way of doing it.
If so, what rating should the MCB be at my house's consumner unit end?
and also what do the ratings of RCD's actually mean? I've seen 63A 30ma
and 80A 30ma etc and I'm a tad confused... :-S

Thanks in advance for any help you can give,
Cheers,
Rob