Posted to uk.d-i-y
ioan_davies

Default CCTV Advice Needed For Home Security

In article , Peter Lynch

On 2006-02-17, ioan_davies wrote:
In article , [email protected] wrote:

ioan_davies wrote:
Hello All
I need some advice with regards CCTV.I need a system that will be
looking over a car park outside my house.It will be connected to a
video,recording through the night,so if anything happens I can view it
after on a TV.But the camera will be looking through a window on to
the car park,this is to stop people vandalizing the camera.So it
needs to have good to average night vision.It also needs to be
wireless as it may be used elsewhere for other viewing concerns.Audio
is not required just visuals.I have been looking at the Tranwo 3010
Indoor B&W Day/Night Vision Wireless CCTV Camera & Receiver from
http://www.iviewcameras.co.uk/,but I am not sure how good the picture
quality would be,going by the price I presume you get what you pay
for.Price wise I am looking at spending up to £100.00 on a system if
one exists with the requirements I have mentioned.I emailed
iviewcameras and asked them their advice to this question but they
never replied.They do seem to have the best selection of CCTV
cameras/systems that I have found.

Any and all help on this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Hello Again
So back to the original question,after all the discussions,does anyone
have any advice to a system that fullfil my requirements?
Please.

Thanks A Lot
MW

Almost certainly not. It uses inbuilt IR LEDs to provide illumination
at night. The range that these will be effective for will only be a
few feet. Plus, having the camera behind a window means you will:
a.) lose some IR transmission through the glass, thus limiting their
range even more
b.) get a _lot_ of reflection off the glass itself which I expect
would render any image useless.

On another note (I haven't read any of the other posts and don't
intend to get into a discussion on the topic) I doubt that a
camera with such a wide field of view would be much use at identifying
any vandals. It certainly wouldn't provide "evidence" quality
data, if that is your intent.

Pete

Thanks Pete for your input,appreciated.