Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Barta

Default Lay out a sine curve?

Phil-in-MI wrote:

The cutting and sanding were much, much more of a problem than the
layout. I gave up after a few attempts, because even the smallest
error is noticeable be everyone.

When I need to make a curved cut in a piece of wood, I make a pattern
from 1/4" hardboard and pattern-route it. Hardboard is easy to cut and
sand smooth and if you make a mistake or cut a little too deep, you
can fill/repair it with a little 5 minute epoxy and file it smooth.

Once the pattern is perfect and smooth with the curve I want, I attach
it to the wood and route it. The end result is wonderful and perfect
the *first* time with very little sanding.

Plus, in some of my woodworking I often make many of the same items,
several at a time over a period of time. The pattern allows to me to
make perfect pieces time after time and very quickly.

Joe Barta