Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman

Default Glass door

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 23:39:30 -0500, dnoyeB
wrote:

Im going to make a wooden frame door with glass center. I read in my
book that hardwood tends to expand and contract and will cause a door to
end up crooked. It recommends plywood or mdf or something.

Is this true? What about soft wood? I am currently planning to use
solid pine for the door frame. Should I try plywood pine? Im
intimidated by veneering.

Yes, it is true that wood twists, bends, warps, wanes,
expands/contracts and all the other wacky shapes. Different kinds of
woods change differently, both soft and hardwoods. Manufactured
boards do so at a much lesser extent. Leave some space all around for
wood movement, better yet use Plexiglas.