Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery

Default electrical question: can anyone explain this?

"jlatenight" wrote in message
oups.com...
My wife SWEARS that her hair dryer gets hotter when she uses it at
other people's houses. I seem to think that our George Forman grill
doesn't get as hot as I've seen in others' houses. Is this a
perception thing, or is there something with the power in our house
that would cause appliaces with heating elements to not get as hot as
other places? Is it something with the ol' W = V x A equasion? Could
there not be enough Amps to create enough Wattage to properly power
these types of devices that require a lot of Wattage?? Help!! Thanks
so much to all who respond!!

It is possiable. For less than $ 20 you can find out. Get a digital meter
(you may hear it referred to as a VOM or voltmeter). Plug the dryer in
where it is normally used if it is a duplex socket. Then measuer the
voltage at the socket. It should be around 110 to 125 volts. Then turn on
the dryer and remeasuer the voltage. If it only drops a volt or two then
the wireing is probalby ok. If it drops 10 volts or more, it is time to
call an electrician to see where the voltage is going.

Then go to the house where the dryer is working 'beter' and do the same
check. If the voltage is moer than about 5 volts diffearant then your wife
is probably right. Be sure to do this check around the same time as the
power company voltage can vary during the day or season.

The voltage at the socket is what maters. The same device will use more
current with a higher voltage and produce more heat. As was mentioned, if
the voltage is low the dryer will produce less heat and the light bulbs will
last longer.