Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Peter Grey

Default Do VFD's make pulleys obsolete?

"Gunner" wrote in message

My Gorton Master Mill (step pully) is controlled by a Yuskawa PC-3
VFD. The belt is set on the middle pully and the VFD does all the
work, from dynamic braking (1 second stop from 5000 rpm) to virtually
instantanious reversing for tapping.

Does your Gorton have a 3 phase motor in the knee for table drive? If so,
how do you run it? Another VFD? A RPC? A static?

I want to put a VFD on the spindle motor of my 8D. It also has a knee motor
that's 220 3phase and I have a static PC that'll run it, but with the motor
at 1/4 HP I don't think I can spare the HP in order to use the static. I'm
wondering of I should be using 2 VFDs on the mill...

Peter