Posted to uk.d-i-y
Michael Pacey

Default Gas boiler problem - excessive heat, soot and yellow flame

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 21:52:24 +0000
Ed Sirett wrote:

As others have already said this boiler is Dangerous. Any
professional coming across it in its current state WILL condemn it.
The fact that the casing is also getting hot almost certainly means
that the flue and/or heat exchanger is blocked. Maybe the flue liner
has collapsed ?

Just one point - this boiler was designed and installed long before
combi boilers were around (in the UK at least). It comes from the
Concorde era!

Frankly the cost of putting this right - and being really sure it's
right
- should probably go straight towards the new boiler.

Have a look at the BoilerChoice FAQ below.

Hi Ed,

I realised this was not a combi boiler about a third of the way through
the FAQ (the bit that says combi boilers heat water "only when it is
needed").

I'm a bit distressed that you think it will be condemned, I am
currently "between jobs" and the idea of digging into my savings
for the £1.5k or so that it would appear this is going to cost me does
not appeal... I'll keep an open mind till I get someone to look at it!

Mind you, what is meant by "condemned"? I am reading this as "requires
replacement", not as "requires repair".

Thanks.

--
Michael